You must be aware of the benefits of doing yoga, I bet! Thanks to Baba Ramdev and yoga videos of bollywood actresses like Shilpa Shetty and Bipasha Basu, everyone from teenagers to adults, is going gaga over yoga. So, for all you fitness enthusiasts, there is an exciting event coming in the first week of March. Yeah, you’re right, it’s the annual International Yoga Festival, which is jointly organised by the Uttarakhand Tourism Development Board, GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) and Parmarth Niketan Ashram in Rishikesh.
When: 1st March 2016 – 7th March 2016
Where: Parmarth Niketan Ashram, Rishikesh
What to Look-out For?
- More than 70 presenters from 20 countries will give nearly 150 classes, from 4:00 am to 9:30 pm.
- Spiritual leaders including Swami Divyanand Teerthji, Swami Ramdev, Prem Babaji and Swami Chidanand Saraswatiji will be the honorable presenters.
- 60 different forms of yoga viz. Raja, Ashtanga, Bhakti, Kundalini, Vinyasa, Bharat etc. will be performed throughout the week.
- Classes in meditation, Sanskrit chanting, mudras and Indian philosophy along with spiritual discourses, which will be held by respected spiritual leaders from India and abroad.
- Regional dance/music performances and international performances by musicians from Australia, Israel and the U.S.
Daily Schedule of International Yoga Festival
- Classes start from early morning at 4:00 am.
- One hour yoga class is held at 6:30 am, followed by a simple breakfast.
- Choose any one of the several two-hour yoga sessions which starts at 8:30 am.
- Inspirational lectures by revered saints on a variety of topics are organised at 11:00 am.
- Traditional Indian lunch is served between 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm.
- Three Yogasana classes are held from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm.
- Ganga aarti is performed from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
- Dinner is served at 7:00 pm, followed by special evening programs, that end at 9:30 pm.
Where to Stay?
Since Rishikesh is a popular tourist destination, a lot of luxury as well as budget hotels are easily available. However, the place is going to be crowded during the fest henceforth, it is best to book beforehand in order to avoid any last minute hassles. Get to know more about budget hotels in Rishikesh here.
So, start planning for your trip to Rishikesh, now!
(With inputs from Anita Bhandari)