On January 28, 2016, the Union Government announced the names of the first 20 urban areas that will be developed as smart cities under ‘Smart Cities Mission’. Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu, while announcing the list, said, “Implementation of smart cities plan will showcase integrated planning. The investment of Rs 50,802 crores has been proposed in selected smart cities and towns during the five-year period.”
Following is the list of 20 smart cities:
1. Bhubaneswar, Odisha
2. Pune, Maharashtra
3. Jaipur, Rajasthan
4. Surat, Gujarat
5. Kochi, Kerala
6. Ahmedabad, Gujarat
7. Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
8. Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
9. Sholapur, Maharashtra
10. Davangere, Karnataka
11. Indore, Madhya Pradesh
12. New Delhi Municipal Council area
13. Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
14. Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh
15. Belagavi, Karnataka
16. Udaipur, Rajasthan
17. Guwahati, Assam
18. Chennai, Tamil Nadu
19. Ludhiana, Punjab
20. Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
What is a Smart City?
A ‘smart city’ is one which is highly advanced in terms of overall infrastructure, sustainable real estate, communications and market viability. Some of the main features of these smart cities include assured water and power supply, efficient urban mobility and public transport, sanitation and solid waste management, strong IT connectivity, e-governance and citizen participation and safety of its citizens etc.
- These 20 names were selected from a list of 98 cities, submitted by the state governments, during a competition held last year.
- There are five capital cities in this list.
- These 20 cities were shortlisted based on certain criteria like feasibility of the proposal, cost-effectiveness, result orientation, strategic plan, citizen participation etc.
- The government will invest approximately Rs.50,802 crore in these chosen smart cities, over a period of five years.
- The second phase of this plan is supposed to engulf the next 40 cities.
So friends, gear up for a smarter India!